- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Put dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together well.
- Pour the Castle Milk Stout and buttermilk into a jug and whisk lightly to combine.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to form a sticky dough.
- Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until soft and smooth.
- Shape dough into a round dome shape and place into a clean, lightly oiled bowl
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes to rise
- Once risen, slash the surface of the dome with an X mark, this allows the bread to expand and release air.
- Then place on a lightly greased baking tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 60 min, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool.
- Allow to cool completely, about 20 min, before slicing. [This resting period is vital, to allow for thorough baking through]
Acknowledgement: Recipe extracted from food24
Back to recipe archives page